The Safe Medicine Disposal Program has been jointly operated by RRWA and local agencies since 2003. Residents of Sonoma and Mendocino County can dispose of their unused, expired, or otherwise unwanted medications free of charge at participating take-back locations. Protect your family and the environment by properly disposing of your unwanted medications. Learn more at SafeMedicineDisposal.org.
Don’t flush your unused medications down the toilet or throw them in the trash! Recent studies show that pharmaceuticals in rivers and streams, if present at high enough concentrations, can harm aquatic wildlife. When flushed down the drain, some medications are not completely removed by wastewater treatment plants and are discharged to surface waters.
Ready to dispose of your unwanted medications?
- Controlled substances: See the list of controlled substances.
- Prescription and over-the-counter-pills and capsules
- Liquid medications, including ointments, lotions & creams (in sealed containers)
- Veterinary medications
- Vitamins, supplements, homeopathic remedies
- Medical patches
- Inhalers (empty)
- Medical samples
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED:
- IV bags
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Personal care products (body lotion, shampoo etc.)
- Aerosol cans
- Epi-pens and other needles/sharps
- Illegal drugs
- Medical marijuana
- Chemotherapy drugs (Ask your health care provider for disposal options.)
- Pill bottles
- Iodine-containing medications
- Any other waste or medication not listed under “Items Accepted”